The Summer Mediterranean Culture Studies Program allows you to spend the summer in two of the top cities in the Mediterranean: Barcelona, Spain and Rome, Italy! You’ll have the chance to absorb the cultures of these Mediterranean capitals both inside and outside of the classroom. From top-notch academics in both cities, to neighborhood tours and tasting the best gelato; all five senses will be overwhelmed in the best possible way!
When in Barcelona, you will study at the Barcelona School for International Studies (SIS), which is located in the heart of Barcelona and just minutes from Plaça Catalunya. You'll take classes in English alongside other American and international students.
When in Rome, you will study at the American University of Rome (AUR), which is located on the highest hill in the city. Accompanied by spectacular views, your academic experience offers a multicultural environment. You'll take classes in English alongside other American and international students.
- Minimum G.P.A. Requirement: 2.5
- Class Requirement: Freshman-Senior Standing
- Language Requirement: Although helpful, no previous Spanish or Italian language knowledge is required.
The Barcelona School for International Studies (SIS), the American University of Rome (AUR), and Barcelona SAE have worked hard to create a study abroad program that allows you to earn credits in your major, minor, or electives. The courses are specifically designed for international students, meaning that you will be able to take courses in English and/or have the advantage of learning in Spanish or Italian at a pace for non-native or fluent speakers.
The Barcelona School for International Studies (SIS) is accredited by Jacksonville University (JU) in Jacksonville, Florida. The American University of Rome (AUR) is recognized by the Italian Ministry of Education as a degree granting institution of higher learning.
After completing a Barcelona SAE program at SIS and AUR, the transcripts will be sent directly to the student’s home institution.
Before you go abroad, Barcelona SAE strongly recommends that you meet with the study abroad office and/or your academic advisor at your home institution. After your acceptance into the program, you will be required to submit a “Approval Contact for Study Abroad” form that will automatically inform your home institution of your intent to participate on a Barcelona SAE program. With that said, we suggest that students are as transparent as possible about their plans and make an appointment with their study abroad office immediately after submitting their Barcelona SAE application.
The earlier that students plan for their study abroad experience, the easier it will be to get all of their courses pre-approved and know exactly what transfer credit will be received at their home institution. Please remember that it is best to get multiple first and second choice courses pre-approved for your Barcelona SAE program, as this will give you some flexibility in setting up your class schedule. Don’t just think about the courses that are required for your major or minor, but also courses that can fulfill your general education or elective requirements.
Your courses will be taught in English, Spanish, or Italian and will primarily be lectures with some teamwork involved. Students will be in class at SIS and AUR with other international students, and class sizes are small to provide a personalized experience.
For the Barcelona portion of the program, students can choose from the following courses:
- Elementary Spanish Language & Culture – A1 (3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- Elementary Spanish Language & Culture – A2 (3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- Intermediate Spanish Language & Culture – B1 (3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- Great 20th Century Artists: Picasso, Dalí, Miró (3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- Management Across Borders (3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- Sports and Society in Spain and Catalonia (3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- The Power of Persuasion – Psychology (3 Credits, 45 Hours)
Additional Courses Based on Enrollment
For the Rome portion of the program, please visit the Barcelona SAE website to view courses and syllabi.
- Intermediate Spanish Language & Culture – B2 (3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- Architecture and Urban Design, The Barcelona Example (3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- Contemporary Spanish Society (3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- Digital Photography (3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- Entrepreneurship and the New Economy (3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- Please note that not all courses listed above will be offered every summer, and the list above are courses and/or subject areas that have been offered in the past by the host institution. Institutions in Barcelona often do not finalize course listings until the beginning of the term, and as such, this list will be updated as the host institution provides additional information.
- For a complete listing of courses that will occur during your specific summer abroad at SIS and AUR, please contact your Barcelona SAE Advisor.
- In order to receive credit from the SIS school of record, Jacksonville University, students must receive a grade of C or higher.
The Summer Mediterranean Studies Program Includes:
Countdown to Barcelona:
While in Barcelona:
Cultural & Social Activities:
- SIS & AUR Tuition and Fees
- Official University Transcript from Jacksonville University and the American University of Rome
- Airport Pick-Up in Barcelona (Must Arrive BEFORE 12:00pm on Program Start Date)
- Flight between the two cities
- Logistical & Cultural Orientations
- Housing for the Duration of Program (Homestays include Breakfast/Dinner!)
- Comprehensive Medical & Accident Insurance through CISI
- 24-Hour Emergency Support
- Full-Time, Native English Speaking Staff
- Independent Travel Advice
For Continued Success After the Program:
- A Weekend Excursion Outside of Barcelona (Costa Brava, Valencia, etc.)
- Multiple Day Trips Outside of Barcelona (Tarragona, Girona, Montserrat, Figures, Besalú, etc.)
- A Weekend Excursion Outside of Rome
- Multiple Day Trips Outside of Rome
- The “Barcelona Bucket List” (Suggestions of 100 Different Things to Experience in Barcelona!)
- Weekly Cultural Agenda (The Local Perspective of What’s Happening Each Week!)
- Weekly Cultural Activities (Cooking Classes, Salsa Lessons, Barrio Tours, and MORE!)
- Mentor Program & Cultural Dinner
- Welcome Hike & Traditional Catalan Meal in Barcelona
- Re-Entry Workshop & Farewell Meal in Rome
…and SO MUCH MORE!
- Alumni & Career Services
- Invitation to Barcelona SAE’s LinkedIn Alumni Group
- Opportunity to Apply for Barcelona SAE’s “Best of the Best” Internship Program
- Opportunity to Apply to be a “Barcelona SAE Campus Ambassador Intern” on Your Home Campus
- Invitations to Study Abroad & Internship Returnee Conferences Throughout the U.S.
The Program Does Not Include:
- Round-Trip Airfare to Barcelona and from Rome
- Visa Costs (If Applicable)
- Mobile Phones & Charges
- Local Transportation
- Personal Items
So…what are you waiting for? APPLY TODAY and get ready to embark on the Barcelona experience of a lifetime!